Live @ Murphy Park concert series is bringing 13 nights of free entertainment at the venue’s amphitheater.
It kicks off at 7 p.m. Saturday, October 1, with the reggae act Black Bottom Lighters.
Guests can imbibe in historic Downtown Glendale’s food and shops; however, food trucks will be on-site, and beer and hard seltzers will be available.
“We have amazing bands, and we’re hosting a comedy night where we have five comedians,” says Heidi Barriga, Glendale special events administrator.
“‘Live’ is more than just music. We have something for everyone.”
Other acts include Fortunate Son, a Creedence Clearwater Revival tribute act; Shine on Floyd, a Pink Floyd tribute act; and Grupo El Regreso.
“We’re super excited and honored that we have Phoenix Afrobeat Orchestra coming out again for a free night of music,” she adds.
“People typically have to do a ticketed event to be able to see them. We have some great Latin music as well. We have everything. The indie-folk band The Senators play in small venues around town for a ticketed event, typically.”
Barriga chalks up the talent finds to special events program manager Dawn Marquez.
“We have a great staff here,” Barriga says. “She does amazing research to see who’s playing at local venues and what tribute bands are touring in this area around this time. We look for local bands who have huge followings on social media or those who are up and coming who have a large following.”
Artist Sloth will paint the “Live @ Murphy Park” logo on-site, and it will be on display for the rest of the series.
“We’re just excited to get people back out here,” she says. “There’s nothing better than seeing people enjoying a beautiful night out — couples on a date, people dancing or tapping their feet. It’s family friendly, but it’s just a good time for the adults to break away, too.”
Live @ Murphy Park
WHEN: 7 p.m. throughout October
WHERE: Murphy Park, Downtown Glendale
• Saturday, October 1: Black Bottom Lighters (reggae)
• Thursday, October 6: Soul persuasion (R&B and oldies)
• Friday, October 7: Santa Pachita (Latin fusion)
• Saturday, October 8: Fortunate Son (Creedence Clearwater Revival tribute)
• Thursday, October 13: Brea Burns & the Boleros (country)
• Friday, October 14: Shine on Floyd (Pink Floyd tribute)
• Saturday, October 15: Comedy Night w/the band Soulbird
• Thursday, October 20: Grupo El Regreso (Latin/cumbia)
• Friday, October 21: The Senators (indie folk)
• Saturday, October 22: Surfin’ (The Beach Boys tribute)
• Thursday, October 27: Outside the Line (Motown soul)
• Friday, October 28: Phoenix Afrobeat Orchestra (Afrobeat)
• Saturday, October 29: Studio 54: The Disco Explosion